Choosing the right tree for your home
- Measure the height and width of the area where the tree will be displayed. Cultivated Christmas trees tend to have an 80% taper. This means that a tree that is 2 m tall will be approximately 1.6 m wide (7′ tall will be 5’6″ wide) at the bottom.
- What decorating theme will be used? Note that some species have more open foliage, stiffer branches or longer needles.
Our Christmas Tree Species page will help you familiarize yourself with the characteristics of different species of trees that are sold as Christmas trees.
- Go to a retail lot that keeps its Christmas trees fresh for you in a protected area.
Before you begin, make sure your Christmas tree stand is large enough to hold four litres (one gallon) of water as well as the trunk of the tree!
The CCTGA would like to remind Canadians about the simple steps required to enjoy a real Christmas tree’s natural majesty and wonderful bouquet.
- When buying your tree, conduct a freshness test. Grasp a branch between your thumb and forefinger and pull it towards you. If the tree is fresh, no more than 5-10 needles should come off in your hand; more needles may come off in colder dryer conditions – this is normal.
- Store the tree in a cool place, out of the wind and rain, until it is ready to be brought indoors.
- Ensure your tree stand is large enough to hold four litres (one gallon) of water as well as the trunk of the tree.
- When bringing the tree indoors, cut 1-2 cm (½-¾ of an inch) off the tree stump before placing it in water. The cut must be no more than four hours old; otherwise, sap will seal the cut. This prevents the water from rising up thus drying out the tree.
- Place a tree-moving bag under your tree, ready to be drawn up around the tree to make disposal easy in January.
- The first water fill should be with very warm water enabling the sap to flow readily. As the tree thaws, water will be drawn upwards replenishing the moisture to the extremities. No additives are required.
- Have a family member top up the water twice daily so the base of the tree never dries out. Your tree will drink several litres of water every day for the first week or two.
- After the holidays, wrap the entire tree in the moving bag. Bring everything outside, including the stand, which can be easily removed once the tree is on its side outdoors.
- Your tree is 100% reusable and recyclable. Contact your municipality for details.
A PDF version of our Christmas tree care Instructions HERE